Is there a Libre router that supports data transfer speeds of 300–500 Mb/s via LAN and Wi-Fi?

5 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
sam-d16
Offline
Beigetreten: 09/28/2023

Hello everyone.

Could you please tell me which router supports data transfer speeds of 300–500 Mb/s? Unfortunately, all I can see on the LibreCMC website is a maximum of 100 Mb/s; all Wi-Fi routers with LibreCMC firmware support a maximum of 100 Mb/s. I need 300–500 Mb/s.

https://gogs.librecmc.org/libreCMC/libreCMC/wiki/Supported_Hardware

Avron

I am a translator!

Offline
Beigetreten: 08/18/2020

https://techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Netgear_WNDR3800 says that the WNDR3800 can support up to 300 Mbit/s on wifi and 1Gbit/s on LAN and WAN ethernet ports. I use it at home and my laptop has a wifi card supposed to go up to 300 Mbps, I can try but I am not sure how to measure this properly (my WAN connection is much less than 300 Mbit/s, so it must be a local test).

jxself
Offline
Beigetreten: 09/13/2010

The best we have in the free world is 802.11n. Anything faster means going full on proprietary software to power the WiFi. If you need faster, go with ethernet. We do have gigabit wired networking in the free world.

sam-d16
Offline
Beigetreten: 09/28/2023

Hello Avron and Jason,

Thank you for your replies.

I apologise for not phrasing my question clearly; I am not simply referring to data transfer speed, but to data transfer using protocols such as Wieguard and other more modern protocols via LAN (wired) and Wi-Fi.

Usually, when it comes to encryption, the speed drops significantly.
For example, on the LibreCMC website, there is the Gl.inet GL-AR300M16 router, which is more modern and compact – seven times smaller than the NetGear WNDR3800!
Marketing claims state 300 Mb/s when using WireGuard and 50 Mb/s (these are synthetic lab tests); in real-world conditions, this would be 35 Mb/s (due to walls in a house, flat, etc.)
https://www.gl-inet.com/en-de/products/gl-ar300m
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/free-software-wireless-n-mini-vpn-router-v3-tpe-r1300 (At the moment, I can see an expired SSL certificate)

The only truly powerful Wi-Fi module without any bloatware is the AR93800/AR5BXB112 (rated at 450 Mb/s in synthetic tests) – there’s nothing more powerful!

If, for example, I have an inexpensive single-board computer with a Rockchip chip that I want to use as a router, the only thing limiting the user (the weak link) from achieving Wi-Fi speeds of over 300–500 Mb/s is this module (AR93800), as the processor is capable of working with newer Wi-Fi modules.

Avron

I am a translator!

Offline
Beigetreten: 08/18/2020

The processing power of the WNDR3800 is much lower than e.g. the TPE-R1400 (no wireless) or the nanopi R4S. See results with Openwrt and wireguard at https://forum.openwrt.org/t/a-wireguard-comparison-db/187586. As you can see, with a nanopi R4S, you can reach 698 Mbps with wireguard. I expect it will be the same with LibreCMC. However, I don't know how to use any wifi card with an AR9380 and this device. I was told that openwrt for the turris omnia is blobless apart from wifi. This router has miniPCIe slots so it may be possible to add a card with the AR9380 and make it work without blob. I know someone who uses openwrt on this router with blobs removed, I will ask him about this.

sam-d16
Offline
Beigetreten: 09/28/2023

Hello Avron,

Thank you for your reply.

Thanks for the link to the tests.

Actually, the NanoPi R2S is more than sufficient for a router, since in my opinion the NanoPi R4S is overkill in terms of processing power. Both of these single-board computers have been used with LibreCMC for a long time, and images are available for them:
https://librecmc.org/librecmc/downloads/snapshots/v6.9/targets/rockchip/armv8/ (I’m sure you know about this.)

The NanoPi R4S is better suited as a home server running Trisquel, and there’s a guide on the LibreCMC website:
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/how-build-trisquel-11-scratch-tpe-r1500-mail-server
(It’s strange, but the ThinkPenguin website isn’t working for me right now as I’m writing this post.)

And this is where “AI” can help us by processing a large amount of information—if you write the prompt correctly.))

I’ve already tried this and asked “AI” for help. It responded to my prompt based on my specific requirements. I asked for a compact size, a Rockchip 3568 chip, a price under $100, 4G support (a replaceable M.2 B-key module for the Sierra AirPrime EM7455), and a replaceable Wi-Fi module (a full-size Mini PCIe card for the Atheros AR9380 / AR5BXB112), among other things.

At the moment, there’s only one single-board computer that meets these requirements: the Radxa E25:
https://radxa.com/products/network-computer/e25/

But there’s one problem: they’ve stopped making it, and it can’t be bought from the website.))

As for Turris routers, they’re much more expensive and much larger.

If we focus on blob-free modules and the most powerful modules available to us, namely:

4G => Sierra AirPrime EM7455 4G LTE (M.2 B-key)
Wi-Fi => Qualcomm Atheros AR9380 / AR5BXB112 (full-size Mini PCIe)

then it’s impossible to find a suitable model.

The closest option is the Turris Omnia 4G:
https://www.discomp.cz/turris-omnia-4g-silver\_d122757.html

It costs 302.15 EUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the processor in this model is significantly weaker.